My traveler rights
Air passenger rights
Cancelled or delayed flights? Do you know your rights and have you heard about air passengers rights? As a European air passenger, you have the right for compensation in case of an incident that occurred during your time at the airport. This is what the European law says about air passenger rights:
- If your flight occurs inside the European Union (EU) and is assured by a company which is established in the EU or outside the EU;
- If you flight lands in the EU coming from a country that is not a part of the EU and is assured by an airline from the EU;
- If your flight leaves from an airport which is located in the EU to go to a destination that is outside the EU and is assured by an airline, which is established inside the EU or outside the EU;
- If you haven’t benefited from any these services (compensation, booking for a new flight or airline assistance) yet, in accordance with the applicable legislation of a non-member country of the EU, for issues linked to a flight to the concerned trip
Since 2004, passengers who fly in the EU benefit from a special protection granted by the EU regulation 261/2004.
A recall on the zones covered by this regulation: By «EU», we mean the 28 countries which are a part of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom), included : Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion, Mayotte, Saint Martin (French West Indies), Azores, Madeira, Cayman Islands, as well as Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. The EU does not include Faroe Islands, Isle of Man, Channel Islands.
Delayed flight compensation
According to the European regulation, you can claim for a delayed flight compensation which can go up to 600 euros if the delay is more than 3 hours. TraveleRights facilitates the procedure by taking charge of your documents. Moreover, you can simulate the calculation of your compensation in order to get an estimated amount. In order to know if you are eligible, don’t hesitate to check your situation by clicking here.
Cancelled flight compensation
Your flight has been cancelled ? The first reaction to have is to get information from your airline to know the reasons of the cancellation. It is essential to know your rights. These are the different elements to verify:
- Do you have the right for a refund on the ticket price? Can you be placed on a replacement flight ?
- Verify if the company has informed you about the cancellation 14 days prior the departure date
- Simulate the possible compensated amount for one person with our online calculator .
- Assemble as much evidence as possible by gathering supporting documents that show your presence
Overbooked flight compensation
A denied boarding occurs when a passenger has a valid ticket for a flight but is not allowed to occupy a seat on the aircraft because the number of passengers who have checked in and are the gate on time is greater than the number of available seats that can be occupied. It happens that airlines sell intentionally more tickets than available in order to compensate for “ no-shows “. This business practice is not illegal.
If you are in an overbooked flight situation, it is important to know your status . There are three possible scenarios:
- You are willing to volunteer, you give up your seat and accept the replacement flight offered by the airline. In this case, the company is taking care of you (lodging, catering services, phone calls) for a minimum waiting period of one night.
- You are willing to volunteer and accept the reimbursement of your ticket (in this case for a replacement flight you’ll have to pay it yourself). The airline has to reimburse your ticket under 7 days. In this case, you can not claim compensation anymore. Moreover, the company will not have the obligation to pay for your overnight stay.
- You are not willing to volunteer for a replacement flight and you are denied boarding. You have the right to ask for a reimbursement under 7 days. In addition to the booking documents, do not forget to ask for an overbooking receipt. Please make sure to have the following documents if you had a re-routing flight.
- The re-routing flight number;
- The electronic ticket or the booking confirmation received by email ;
- The boarding pass
Please note that you only need one of these documents as an evidence for delayed, cancelled or overbooked flight.
Just a reminder that you have the right for compensation in case of overbooking only if you have been denied boarding and the reason behind that, was the overbooking. It should also be noted that in respect to the European regulation, the re-routing or the reimbursement has to do nothing with the flat-rate compensation.
Missed connection compensation
Often a missed connection is due to a delayed flight. To know more about your situation, we suggest you to verify some information online:
- Verify if the delay is 3 hours or more ;
- Then if this delay caused you to miss your connection flight
If your situation meets these two conditions, you have the right for compensation according to European regulation 261/2004.
Delayed luggage compensation
You are in a situation where your luggage is delayed? First of all, you need to know, which convention applies to your case: Warsaw or Montreal Convention?
According to the Montreal Convention, after 21 days, any delayed luggage is considered lost. This convention allows you to claim compensation up to 2 years after the date of your flight. With TraveleRights, you can simulate your claim for delayed, lost or damaged compensation by clicking here
Airport strike compensation
The first criteria to verify is to see if your flight is in the European zone. Then, verify if the strike is internal or external to the airline. If it is an internal strike, the European regulation and the jurisprudence state that the airline is responsible, therefore there are no exonerating circumstances. Hence, the company has the obligation to pay